Wednesday, June 08, 2011

A decent end to an otherwise bad day. Wildlife sightings in False Pass.

The following is a short photo essay of my evening in False Pass, Alaska on June 08, 2011 around 9:30pm.  I suggest you try and scroll down slowly and take the time to read each caption one at a time, enjoying each photo before proceeding on the next.  Thanks for looking and please leave a comment if you feel so inclined.

So yesterday evening I went for a ride to the north edge of town and came across this nice little stream.  Tonight, I decided to go back and check it out hoping to see some wildlife along the way.

Once I turned onto the road that I was searching for, it wasn't long before I saw this Alaskan Red Fox (Vulpes v. alascensis) cruising across the road.

It really looked like it was on a mission...

I'd be surprised if it even noticed me.

This fox really seemed to have it's eyes, or ears, on something else.

I was curious.
All the sudden it crouched down.

It seemed to spot what it had been hunting.

I was surprised with how quick it moved as it pounced on something...


Dinner!!  It looks like a nice juicy rodent.

All of the sudden something else seemed to catch it's attention

Whatever it was, it seemed that it got what it came for then took off in the opposite direction.  Now I was curious again and proceeded down the road.  Until...  






 
WOW! Awesome..I felt my heart start to race a little.

What an amazing creature!  An Alaskan Brown Bear (Ursus arctos horribilis).

I turned my little Yamaha Rhino buggy around at about 150yds, kept the engine idling and left the door open as I stepped out to start snapping away photos. 

This bear is exactly what I was hoping to see.  And it appeared it really didn't care about me at all, barely lifting his head to even gaze in my direction.

I couldn't tell if it was a sow or a boar but I anxiously looked around for any signs of cubs.

After it made a trip across the road and back, I saw no cubs.

It was hard to estimate how big he was (assuming now that its a boar).  But if I had to guess, I'd say maybe around 6 feet from butt to nose and maybe 4 feet tall at the shoulders.  That would probably be about 8-9 feet tall if he were to stand up on hind legs!!

He walked a little closer toward me but was still over 100yds away off the side of the road, still not paying any attention to me at all.

Just sniffing around for some grub.

Seriously, these 15 minutes was awesome for me even though it maybe felt like like double that time easy.

What a cool beast of an animal.  Even in this vast landscape he proved to be a nice mighty Alaskan Brown Bear.

He meandered up the hill then I lost sight of him as he vanished in the alder bushes.
  


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow...what great pictures and an amazing story. Well...until the end that is!! Seriously, wonderful pictures. You are lucky to see what you see.

Anonymous said...

Wow...very up-close-and-personal w/nature. Great story & photos. I rember when a brown snuk up on me once...he was 10-feet away when i woke up w/racing pulse...

Anonymous said...

totally awesome. Thanks cuz, blessings Tina